STS: Student Technology Services
STS: Student Technology Services


Telecommunications Service

Each room or suite will have one dedicated telephone line and a telephone number for occupants to share.  It is strongly recommend that one occupant bring an analog (landline) phone to school in order to use the individual in-room telephone line.  Because cell phone reception varies in residence halls, it is a good idea to have access to a landline phone for emergency use.  Your campus phone can also be a great way for your professors and friends to reach you at a local number instead of dialing an out-of-state cell phone number.  Users also can set up voicemail and call waiting service on their campus telephones.

Placing Calls

For information on how to place on-campus, off-campus, long distance and international calls, please click here to view a comprehensive guide.


Voicemail service is available for $36/ academic year. Voicemail service is activated within 48 hours of placing an order. [Using the Voicemail system]

Call Waiting

Call waiting service is available for $27/ academic year. Call Waiting is activated within 48 hours of placing an order. [Using Call Waiting]

Signing Up for Voicemail and Call Waiting

Contact the IT Support Center at 202-994-GWIT (4948) or

Long Distance Service

To make phone calls outside the University, you will need a PAETEC Personal Billing Number (PBN). Once you have a PBN with PAETEC, you can check your bill online at:

The PBN Ensures Secure Billing for Students:
  • Long distance calls can only be made using a PBN.
  • A student can use any campus phone to make a long distance call - charges are not associated with the telephone number but with the PBN.
  • You are responsible for keeping your PBN secure.  If you suspect your PBN code has been compromised, notify Campuslink immediately by calling 1-800-962-4772.
When dialing a long distance number, the phone will make a series of tones to prompt the entry of your PBN; the charges will appear on your next Paetec statement, which you will receive by e-mail.

More information on GW calling plans can be found in this PDF document: .

International Directory Assistance

For free International Directory Assistance please visit

Voice Repair

Students who require assistance with their telephone service should contact the IT Support Center at 202-994-GWIT (4948) for troubleshooting assistance. If necessary, an in-room appointment with an STS technician will be scheduled.

Emergency Calls

The George Washington University Police Department (UPD):
Foggy Bottom Campus
Emergency: 4-6111
Non-emergency: 4-6110
  Mount Vernon Campus
Emergency: 2-6111
Non-emergency: 2-6110

Ambulance or Fire Department  9 + 911

Phone Phone
The George Washington University