Home > Getting Started > Eligibility
Students seeking accommodations and/or services are encouraged to contact DSS prior to or upon admission; there is no automatic referral from Admissions or other GW offices. Furthermore, the University has no legal obligation to recognize any student as having a disability until that student has established eligibility with this office.
To ensure the provision of reasonable and appropriate services, students must:
Step One: Establish Eligibility
Please note: The documentation must be current and relevant, substantiate how the condition impacts the student in a postsecondary academic environment, and illustrate a connection between the impact of the disability and the requested accommodation.
- Once the documentation has been received and reviewed, students will be notified of their eligibility status and asked to schedule an orientation session.
Step Two: Schedule a DSS Orientation Session
- Schedule an orientation session with the Director or Associate Director prior to or at the start of the semester by calling 202-994-8250.
- During this meeting, students will be learn how to access the accommodations and/or services for which they are eligible and review DSS policies and procedures, and have an opportunity to have any questions answered.
Step Three: Request Accommodations Each Term
- At the student's request, DSS prepares an individualized letter to professors which notes the student's eligibility for accommodations. Students are expected to make an appointment with their professors early on in the semester to discuss any particular academic implications of the disability and arrange course specific accommodations.
- The Letter to Professor Request Form is available online and can be submitted electronically. Students must submit a new request for letters each semester.
- Students will receive email notification when their letters are available for pick-up.
Please note: Professors are not obligated to meet a request for accommodations without prior notification of the need.
We also encourage prospective students
inquiring about the level of support available at GW to contact the
Director or Associate Director and/or arrange for a meeting when visiting the campus
If you have any immediate questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org